Bill Baxter wbaxter@gmail....
Tue Feb 24 01:04:32 CST 2009

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 1:52 PM, David Cournapeau <cournape@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 1:21 PM, Bill Baxter <wbaxter@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Git on windows has improved a lot in the last year. Another year or two
>>> might make it a good solution for everyone.
>>
>> I gave msys-Git a try last week and it was not smooth sailing for me.
>> Seemed to maybe be having conflicts with the Unix tool ports I usually
>> use.
>
> IIRC, there is an option to check/uncheck to avoid this exact issue in
> the installer. Concerning the bzr vs git thing, it is hard to really
> know the problems without having used both of them extensively; a lot
> are just "look how cool git is", look how cool bzr is. I wrote a
> couple of months ago a comparison which totally omits the speed aspect
> if that interests you:
> http://cournape.wordpress.com/2008/10/30/going-away-from-bzr-toward-git/

Thanks for that.  I gave it another try.  On the second go I noticed
that it said something about making sure I didn't have Cygwin git on
my path, which it looks like I did have.  So maybe it will work this
time...

One thing you didn't mention in your annoyances with bzr is the
multiple workflows.  They say it's an advantage but it seems to me
like added complexity for very little benefit.  So you can have a
checkout instead of a branch just to save yourself the trouble of
having to say "bzr push" after a commit.  But because of that they
have to have commands to specify which flavor to use (initially
checkout/branch, and  to change bind/unbind), and to query the state
of the current tree (bzr info gives that),   Then they have repos with
or without trees and various commands to set and query those states.
I just found it unnecessarily confusing compared to Hg.  And shared vs
unshared repositories. Just too many ways to do things than really
necessary.

--bb