Ralf Ahlbrink Ralf_Ahlbrink@web...
Tue Feb 24 04:28:03 CST 2009

David Cournapeau wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 2:24 AM, Jonathan Guyer <guyer@nist.gov> wrote:
>>
>> On Feb 23, 2009, at 11:44 AM, David Cournapeau wrote:
>>
>>> 50 % of the time I create a
>>> branch for numpy, I screw up because I need like 10 commands, which
>>> fail
>>> half of the time for stupid errors or time out.
>>
>> I have no opinion on a switch of SciPy to git or anything else, and
>> I'm generally interested in the prospects for distributed version
>> control, but I really have to ask, what 10 commands could you possibly
>> need to execute to create a branch in svn?
>
> svn cp trunk -> branch
> svnmerge switch branch
> svnmerge init trunk
> svn ci -F svnmerge-commit.txt
> svn switch trunk
> svnmerge init branch
> svn ci -F svnmerge-commit.txt
>
> Ok, that's 7 :)

Hi David,

your statement here about subversion branching/merging is somewhat
misleading, because you presume subversion <= 1.4. The current version (1.5)
supports 'merge-tracking', i.e. the svnmerge functionality is transparently
incorporated into svn. See e.g. http://blog.red-bean.com/sussman/?p=92 or
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/index.html (especially chapter 4).
Migration to 1.5 repositories by svnadmin dump and load actions works well.

Regards,
Ralf.