David Cournapeau cournape@gmail....
Tue Feb 24 06:18:57 CST 2009

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 7:28 PM, Ralf Ahlbrink <Ralf_Ahlbrink@web.de> wrote:
> David Cournapeau wrote:

>>> I have no opinion on a switch of SciPy to git or anything else, and
>>> I'm generally interested in the prospects for distributed version
>>> control, but I really have to ask, what 10 commands could you possibly
>>> need to execute to create a branch in svn?
>>
>> svn cp trunk -> branch
>> svnmerge switch branch
>> svnmerge init trunk
>> svn ci -F svnmerge-commit.txt
>> svn switch trunk
>> svnmerge init branch
>> svn ci -F svnmerge-commit.txt
>>
>> Ok, that's 7 :)
>
> Hi David,
>
> your statement here about subversion branching/merging is somewhat
> misleading, because you presume subversion <= 1.4. The current version (1.5)
> supports 'merge-tracking', i.e. the svnmerge functionality is transparently
> incorporated into svn. See e.g. http://blog.red-bean.com/sussman/?p=92 or
> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/index.html (especially chapter 4).
> Migration to 1.5 repositories by svnadmin dump and load actions works well.

AFAIK, svn 1.5 only solve some of the problems, but it it still very
slow, which is one of the main issue. It also fails in case of
renames, etc... I have seen reports of people sticking to svnmerge
with 1.5.

Also, building subversion is a royal PITA, I had to do it once on a
CENTOS system, it took me a while - not all distributions have svn
1.5. Frankly, if we change, better change to a better system. svn is
just an inferior tool in almost every possible way. Changing svn to
1.5 brings most of the pain that would bring DVCS, and for no clear
improvement. I think at the moment, we would be better to stick to 1.4
for now, bring some official git mirrors, and work on other issues,

David