[SciPy-dev] Scipy workflow (and not tools).

Tue Feb 24 17:57:37 CST 2009

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 4:32 PM, Nathan Bell <wnbell@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 6:18 PM, Rob Clewley <rob.clewley@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > I would hesitate to make the model as strong as "ownership". Maybe
> > "curator"? I don't mean to play with semantics but the choice of
> > language for the model will be important in giving the right
> > impression to new and/or timid users/contributors (myself included)
> > who don't need to be put off getting involved because of perceived
> > responsibilities. Ownership suggests a strict hierarchy, and potential
> > curators will be less likely to get involved if the workflow model
> > labels them "owners." Also, this perception also enables non-owners
> > (who might perceive themselves as unqualified to help) to justify
> > leaving the poor blighters to do everything by themselves.
> >
> > I don't want to have the responsibility of "owning" anything about the
> > existing code for ODE solving (and maybe some other numerical
> > methods), even though I have some stake in it. But I'll happily share
> > in some of the reviewing and possibly testing of changes and
> > improvements to that code.
> >
> > So, can't there be informal teams of curatorship so that not everyone
> > involved has to be really familiar with the tools discussed in the
> > other thread?! Unfortunately I cannot afford the time to ride the
> > waves of changing fashion in VCS, etc.
> >
> > Wouldn't this help to get more people involved? ... those many people
> > that Gael correctly assumes are out there but staying silent!
> >

> I wouldn't get too hung-up on the word "owner".  I think the necessary part
> is that one or more people feel some level of responsibility for each
> component of scipy.
>
> As an example, in Trac you can configure an "owner" (their term, not mine)
> for each component.  When a ticket is issued the owner will receive an
> email.  For simple fixes, this facilitates quick turn around.  Ideally, each
> component would have at least one owner who was notified when tickets are
> issued.
>
> Here's the current list:
>
> Name                                 Owner
> Build issues          cdavid
>  Other                 somebody
> Trac                  somebody
>  Website               somebody
> numexpr               cookedm
>  scipy.cluster         somebody
> scipy.fftpack         somebody
>  scipy.integrate       somebody
> scipy.interpolate     somebody
>  scipy.io              somebody
> scipy.lib             somebody
>  scipy.linalg          somebody
> scipy.maxentropy      somebody
>  scipy.misc            somebody
> scipy.ndimage         somebody
>  scipy.odr             cdavid
> scipy.optimize        somebody
>  scipy.signal          somebody
> scipy.sparse          wnbell
>  scipy.sparse.linalg   wnbell
> scipy.spatial         peridot
>  scipy.special         somebody
> scipy.stats           somebody
>  scipy.weave           somebody

Nice list. I note that Anne was quick to fix problems in scipy.spatial and
David works hard on build issues. I feel responsible for the 1D solvers in
scipy.optimize and the sort functions in Numpy. Josef should probably be
added to the stats list. I nominate Pauli for special functions (Hi Pauli).
A finer breakdown of categories might help in parceling out
responsibilities. Volunteers?

Chuck