[SciPy-dev] Scipy workflow (and not tools).

Tue Feb 24 18:52:16 CST 2009

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 5:20 PM, Anne Archibald
<peridot.faceted@gmail.com>wrote:

> 2009/2/24 Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com>:
> > On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 15:13, Charles R Harris
> > <charlesr.harris@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I think at this point we would be better off trying to recruit at least
> one
> >> person to "own" each package. For new packages that is usually the
> person
> >> who committed it but we also need ownership of older packages. Someone
> with
> >> a personal stake in a package is likely to do more for quality assurance
> at
> >> this point than any amount of required review.
> >
> > "Ownership" has a bad failure mode. Case in point: nominally, I am the
> > "owner" of scipy.stats and numpy.random and completely failed to move
> > Josef's patches along.
>
> It seems to me that scipy's development model is a classic open-source
> "scratch an itch": it bothered me that people were forever asking
> questions that needed spatial data structures, so I took a weekend and
> wrote some. I don't foresee this changing without some major change
> (e.g. a company suddenly hiring ten people to work full-time on
> scipy). So the question is how to make this model produce reliable
> code.
>
> Suggestions people have made to accomplish this:
>
> (1) Don't allow anything into SVN without tests and documentation.
> (2) Make sure everything gets reviewed before it goes in.
> (3) Appoint owners for parts of scipy.
>
> Of these, I strongly approve of (1). It's really not a barrier.
> Writing tests is easy. Every programmer does *some* testing (well
> maybe not Knuth, but everybody else) to make sure the code does what
> it's supposed to. Writing these tests in nose-compatible form really
> isn't hard. Documentation is more of an obstacle, just because it's
> extra work. But I think it's not too much to ask.
>
> (2) I'm not so sure of. For an example, a few days ago I fixed a
> couple of spatial bugs. In both cases, the bug fix was a one-line
> change to scipy proper, plus a unit test that would have caught the
> bug but now passes. What would be gained by waiting until somebody
> else got around to looking at those fixes before committing them?
>
> I am tempted to suggest a weaker standard: optional code review. If
> you want to submit a piece of code to scipy and don't have SVN access,
> or do but want someone else to take a look at it (as, e.g., I did for
> scipy.spatial as a whole), post it; people can review it and when it's
> been adequately reviewed it goes in. Of course, here we return to
> infrastructure: as far as I know we don't have any reasonable tool for
> doing these reviews, or for connecting them to bug reports.
>
> (3) I am highly dubious of. Certainly we'll have informal owners - I
> fixed the bugs in spatial in part because I wrote the code and was
> embarrassed to see it broken. I know the spatial code pretty well, so
> I will probably have an easier time assessing patches to it. But I am
> [...]
I don't think that's what we are "really talking about", rather, I think we
need folks who feel an informal ownership about parts of scipy. I simply
pointed out where I felt responsible as an example. Your sense of "owning"
scipy.spatial is another example. And I think the best way to get folks
attached to orphaned bits of code that have languished untouched all these
years is to let them make actual changes without jumping through umpteen
legal hoops. I also think we need more developers, and the place to find
them is among folks who have contributed patches. We should actively offer
commit privileges to such folks. The main advantage of a DVCS in such a
situation is that commit privilege becomes less important and additions can
be reviewed offline and brought in easily when ready. But until we have such
a system I think more folks need the ability to touch SVN.

Chuck