[SciPy-dev] Scipy workflow (and not tools).

David Cournapeau cournape@gmail....
Wed Feb 25 13:26:37 CST 2009

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 3:58 AM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>>> Tests protect the user and the developer alike.  It is irresponsible
>>> to carry on the way we do.
>>>
>> No it's not.
>
> Scipy is rarely released.  David and Stefan are saying that it is very
> hard to release.
>
> It might be true, that continuing with the organic, 'add it if it
> seems good' approach, will be fine.   But it might also be true that
> it will make Scipy grind to a halt, as it becomes too poorly
> structured and tested to maintain.

I personally don't buy much the argument that asking for some tests
would mean less amount of useful code. True, not asking for tests at
commit time requires less work, but having to fix afterwards some code
wo tests and which I have not written is much more time consuming.

If the code really is useful, but has no tests - maybe it does not
belong to scipy. Maybe it belongs to something else - I mean, creating
a setup.py + publishing on pypi is not really hard. Maybe we should
first see how much easier we can make the process of including new
code instead of worrying about making it too difficult.

David