Thu Feb 26 09:58:03 CST 2009

Pauli Virtanen wrote:
> Wed, 25 Feb 2009 17:18:37 -0600, Travis E. Oliphant wrote:
> [clip]
>
>> 3) There are pieces of SciPy that need work (interpolate stands out most
>> in my mind right now).    I have changes to the interpolate code that I
>> have not yet committed because I was waiting for the release of 0.7 but
>> I really want to commit.  Who is interested in reviewing this?  I'm
>> happy to work with additional eyes, but my current workflow is "commit
>> code I think is working along with some tests and docstrings", and then
>> let review/improve happen on the trunk.
>>

> The codereview.appspot.com tool is very fast to use, eg. via the
>
> 	http://codereview.appspot.com/static/upload.py
>
> tool. So I'd suggest to just uploading the patches there even before
> commit; it can't do any harm.

The harm is the effort to do it.    Interacting with a web-page is
slower than svn commit.   This extra step in the process does make a
difference when you are time-crunched.
> The problem with reviewing code after commit in trunk is that it takes
> more effort to correct or ask about dubious points.

I disagree with this statement.   Why does it take more effort than
reviewing code on the trunk?    You can do an svn diff to get the code
changes, and do the review exactly as you could with any other tool.

One way to see this is the difference between asking for permission or
asking for forgiveness.     Both have their place in social activities,
but we shouldn't institutionalize one over the other.
>> I don't really like having lots of branches checked out of a code-base
>> in order to manage a different workflow.  I'm open to being educated
>> about approaches that work better.
>>

> I've found git-svn quite good for maintaining topic branches. It can
> switch easily between them using the same working tree, so that compiles
> are fast, and editor just needs M-x revert-buffer.

Thanks for the tip.   At some point I may be able to invest some time in
learning about git-svn.    How do you switch between branches using
git-svn.  With svn it's svn switch
http://some-name-I-always-have-to-look-up-and-takes-time.

-Travis