Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Thu Feb 26 11:25:44 CST 2009

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 09:58, Travis E. Oliphant
<oliphant@enthought.com> wrote:
> Pauli Virtanen wrote:
>> Wed, 25 Feb 2009 17:18:37 -0600, Travis E. Oliphant wrote:
>> [clip]
>>
>>> 3) There are pieces of SciPy that need work (interpolate stands out most
>>> in my mind right now).    I have changes to the interpolate code that I
>>> have not yet committed because I was waiting for the release of 0.7 but
>>> I really want to commit.  Who is interested in reviewing this?  I'm
>>> happy to work with additional eyes, but my current workflow is "commit
>>> code I think is working along with some tests and docstrings", and then
>>> let review/improve happen on the trunk.
>>>

>> The codereview.appspot.com tool is very fast to use, eg. via the
>>
>>       http://codereview.appspot.com/static/upload.py
>>
>> tool. So I'd suggest to just uploading the patches there even before
>> commit; it can't do any harm.
>>
> The harm is the effort to do it.    Interacting with a web-page is
> slower than svn commit.

That's why there are CLI tools to submit the review.

>  This extra step in the process does make a
> difference when you are time-crunched.

We're usually not.

>> The problem with reviewing code after commit in trunk is that it takes
>> more effort to correct or ask about dubious points.
>>
> I disagree with this statement.   Why does it take more effort than
> reviewing code on the trunk?    You can do an svn diff to get the code
> changes, and do the review exactly as you could with any other tool.

Because looking at a web page is easier, I've found. The communicating
that happens afterwards is also easier.

Please, *try* it for a month. I believe that you are speaking from ignorance.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco