[SciPy-dev] Scipy workflow (and not tools).

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Thu Feb 26 16:12:31 CST 2009

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 16:09,  <josef.pktd@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Contributing to SciPy is easy and anyone can do it.  Here is what you do:
>>
>> * Create a branch using git/bzr/hg (we have to pick one).
>> * Write your code.
>> * Add tests and documentation to your code.
>> * Run the test suite
>> * Post your branch to github/launchpad/bitbucket
>> * Submit your branch for review using...
>>
>> When someone is eager to write code, this is what they need!!!
>
> For bug fixes and small changes to scipy and if someone wants to
> submit some tests, this is a pretty bit of work, if you don't have the
> infrastructure set up for it.
>
> For example to be able to upload to a branch on launchpad, I was
> struggling several hours with the ssl authorization which was screwed
> up in my bazar install.
> When I am looking and using some open source project and I want to
> report some problems and propose some fixes, I don't want to have to
> install a new revision control system such as git, create accounts at
> several websites, just to report some bugfixes as in the story of
> Alex. To require a complete rebuild of scipy and creating branches for
> changing several lines of code and adding some tests, seems a lot to
> demand for someone that doesn't already have the particular full
> development environment installed.
>
> So while the decentralized version control will help those developers
> that want to get more strongly involved, we shouldn't make it sound
> like that is the only way to contribute.
> On the other hand, it is clear that the more work it is for committing
> and reviewing developers the slower will be a response, especially for
> parts of scipy that doesn't have a "maintainer".

The lighterweight version is

* Check out the source.
* Write your code and as much docs and tests as you can.
* Use <foo> to upload your patch to the review site.

Making and publishing a branch is for people who do this regularly.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco