[SciPy-dev] PEP: Improving the basic statistical functions in Scipy

Thu Feb 26 16:34:34 CST 2009

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 04:26:39PM -0600, Bruce Southey wrote:
> 1) Provide the same basic statistical functions with the same arguments
> for standard and masked arrays.

Sounds great.

> 4) Cleanup styles issues including:
> a) White space usage
> b) Consistent arguments such as 'a' vs 'x' and the usage of *args
> c) Uniquely identifying functions.
> i) rootfunc and tempfunc defined two and three times, respectively, in
> morestats.py but have different arguments.
> ii) makestr is defined twice in _support.py, once a main function and
> once as a subfunction of printcc.

Excellent.

> 5) Ensure info.py is complete and correct.

Great.

> 6) Improve the documentation of basic statistical functions in
> connection with the Scipy documentation Marathon
> (http://www.scipy.org/Developer_Zone/DocMarathon2008)

Go for it!

> 7) Improve the tests of the basic statistical functions:
> i) All functions should have at least have basic test coverage that
> indicates whether or not it is functional.
> ii) Important functions should have tests that include unexpected
> elements like Nan's, positive and negative infinity and other unexpected
> inputs.
> iii) Ideally there should be tests that check the function accuracy.

Good.

Hell, I can't say more. If you can get just half of what you have listed
up there, it would be fantastic.

I'll try to review your work (which I expect you will be putting up on a
code review site, as discussed previously), but I don't promise anything:
it can be hard for me to find time to sit down and do something serious
on top of my current workload.

Cheers,

Gaël