[SciPy-dev] Scipy workflow (and not tools).

David Cournapeau cournape@gmail....
Thu Feb 26 22:23:30 CST 2009

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 9:08 AM, Pauli Virtanen <pav@iki.fi> wrote:
> Fri, 27 Feb 2009 00:48:00 +0200, Stéfan van der Walt wrote:
>
>> 2009/2/27 Pauli Virtanen <pav@iki.fi>:
>>> If you want to discuss Git, you can probably steal from here:
>>>
>>>        http://scipy.org/scipy/numpy/wiki/GitMirror
>>
>> Ah, yes, good reminder!
>>
>> Could you give me a quick rundown of why you used --mirror earlier on
>> when adding the remote?
>
> The --mirror option adds
>
>        fetch = +refs/*:refs/*
>        mirror = yes
>
> to [remote "origin"]. So one wouldn't need to edit .git/config manually.
>
> However, the --mirror has another effect which I missed earlier: it makes
> the remote consider all heads its own, so that "git remote prune origin"
> would drop all branches, including local ones. Similar issue with
> "git fetch". So I think it's not the correct solution.
>
>    ***
>
> But all of that is moot now. I finally figured out that I must push to
> the mirror with
>
>        git push git@github.com:pv/numpy-svn.git \
>                +refs/remotes/*:refs/heads/* +master
>
> Then it can be cloned simply with
>
>        git clone --origin svn git://github.com/pv/scipy-svn.git
>
> And "--origin svn" only because we want svn/trunk instead of origin/trunk.
> Also git-svn can be activated:
>
>        git svn init -s --prefix=svn/ http://svn.scipy.org/svn/scipy
>        git svn rebase -l
>
> And as a bonus, the SVN branches are visible on Github!

Ah, nice, I did not find a way to do this - I used a dirty script to
get local branches and update them instead. One thing which is still
annoying is that tags are considered as branches - but I guess there
is no way around it, since svn does not have any tag concept.

David