[SciPy-dev] PEP: Improving the basic statistical functions in Scipy

josef.pktd@gmai... josef.pktd@gmai...
Fri Feb 27 10:42:51 CST 2009

One more issue for the design of statistical function is the
availability of using weights.
I was looking at calculating weighted means and variances and so on,
but the current situation doesn't look very good. There is np.average
and the new curvefit allows for weights.

http://scipy.org/scipy/scipy/ticket/604 has a full set of statistical
functions using weights, but I couldn't make up my mind about how this
should fit in. Many of the functions are very short wrappers and would
increase the number of functions without necessarily a big benefit.

But an efficient implementation of statistical functions that allow
weights would make the use of dummy variables and the conversion of
masked arrays to use the weighted functions easier,  (use mask as
dummy variable for the weight.)

This won't help for all cases where masked arrays are used, but
looking at specific functions and coming up with a good general design
would be very useful.

Josef