Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu@aero.iitb.ac...
Fri Feb 27 13:16:05 CST 2009

On 02/27/09 23:58, Pauli Virtanen wrote:
> Fri, 27 Feb 2009 11:22:55 +0530, Prabhu Ramachandran wrote:
> [clip]
>> I've not contributed anything in years to scipy but I have a practical
>> problem that might be worth addressing eventually (others might be in a
>> similar position) -- my entire network is firewalled and I can only
>> access the web behind an authenticated http proxy. The firewall does
>> allow ssh connections out though but that seems useless to access a git
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> SSH is the default transport protocol for Git.

Hmm, this doesn't seem to work.  My guess is that it uses a different
port which clearly won't work unless I force the admins here to open up
the git port.

$ git clone --origin svn git://github.com/pv/scipy-svn.git scipy.git
Initialized empty Git repository in /home/prabhu/src/git/scipy.git/.git/
github.com[0: 65.74.177.129]: errno=Connection timed out
fatal: unable to connect a socket (Connection timed out)
fetch-pack from 'git://github.com/pv/scipy-svn.git' failed.

Note, that I can certainly ssh just fine to the outside world.

cheers,
prabhu