David Cournapeau cournape@gmail....
Fri Feb 27 14:07:10 CST 2009

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 4:53 AM, Prabhu Ramachandran
<prabhu@aero.iitb.ac.in> wrote:

> Host github.com
>         User git
>         HostName github.com # also tried ssh.github.com
>         Port 443
>         ProxyCommand /usr/bin/corkscrew my_proxy.iitb.ac.in  80 %h %p
> /home/prabhu/.ssh/auth
>         IdentityFile /home/prabhu/.ssh/id_dsa.pub

If you cannot go through port 443, that may explain it. One way to
check the connection is to ssh directly to github.com (with user git).
It will fail (it is not support to work), but will tell you something
like:

PTY allocation request failed on channel 0
Hi cournape! You've successfully authenticated, but GitHub does not
provide shell access.
         Connection to github.com closed.

> svn has worked well for me in this regard.  I have always been able to
> checkin and checkout stuff with svn.

Yes, it may work for svn and not for git: the related network
requirements are not the same. In some cases, http is the only method
- on the draconian environment, I used http + push at the end of the
day at home.

David