Pauli Virtanen pav@iki...
Fri Feb 27 14:44:14 CST 2009

Sat, 28 Feb 2009 00:46:05 +0530, Prabhu Ramachandran wrote:
[clip]
>> SSH is the default transport protocol for Git.
>
> Hmm, this doesn't seem to work.  My guess is that it uses a different
> port which clearly won't work unless I force the admins here to open up
> the git port.

Hmm, that was a direct quote from the git manual, but apparently I took
it out of context.

> $ git clone --origin svn git://github.com/pv/scipy-svn.git scipy.git
> Initialized empty Git repository in /home/prabhu/src/git/scipy.git/.git/
> github.com[0: 65.74.177.129]: errno=Connection timed out fatal: unable
> to connect a socket (Connection timed out) fetch-pack from
> 'git://github.com/pv/scipy-svn.git' failed.
>
> Note, that I can certainly ssh just fine to the outside world.

You can push via SSH (it does not go via the git:// protocol), but you
need first to create an account and set up your public SSH key. Then you
can do

	git push git@github.com:USERNAME/my-repo.git

and this does go through port 22.

So I think that you can

1) Clone other people's repositories via HTTP.

2) Push to your repository via SSH.

So I think Github should work, even in an environment restricted like
yours.

--
Pauli Virtanen