David Cournapeau cournape@gmail....
Fri Feb 27 14:56:26 CST 2009

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 5:46 AM, Prabhu Ramachandran
<prabhu@aero.iitb.ac.in> wrote:
> On 02/28/09 01:37, David Cournapeau wrote:
>> On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 4:53 AM, Prabhu Ramachandran
>> <prabhu@aero.iitb.ac.in> wrote:
>>
>>> Host github.com
>>>         User git
>>>         HostName github.com # also tried ssh.github.com
>>>         Port 443
>>>         ProxyCommand /usr/bin/corkscrew my_proxy.iitb.ac.in  80 %h %p
>>> /home/prabhu/.ssh/auth
>>>         IdentityFile /home/prabhu/.ssh/id_dsa.pub
>>
>> If you cannot go through port 443, that may explain it. One way to
>> check the connection is to ssh directly to github.com (with user git).
>> It will fail (it is not support to work), but will tell you something
>> like:
>>
>> PTY allocation request failed on channel 0
>> Hi cournape! You've successfully authenticated, but GitHub does not
>> provide shell access.
>>          Connection to github.com closed.
>
> Mine tells me this:
>
> $ ssh -p 443 github.com
> The authenticity of host '[ssh.github.com]:443 (<no hostip for proxy
> command>)' can't be established.
> RSA key fingerprint is 16:27:ac:a5:76:28:2d:36:63:1b:56:4d:eb:df:a6:48.
> Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
> Warning: Permanently added '[ssh.github.com]:443' (RSA) to the list of
> known hosts.
> Permission denied (publickey).
>
> So it looks like it does work but does not authenticate.  I hope I don
> t have to setup a login with github.

If you want to connect through ssh, I am afraid you don't have a
choice. But of course, the no hassle solution is to just clone from
http - or even simpler, to get the autogenerated tarball
(independently of DVCS or nor, I think that's something we should
support anyway).

cheers,

David