[SciPy-dev] Abstract vectors in optimization

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Tue Jan 6 00:01:01 CST 2009

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 23:27, David Cournapeau
<david@ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> I want to ask: why would you *not* want to use numpy ? What does it
> bring to you ?

If you want to implement optimization in a curved space with a
non-Euclidean metric (say in the space of correlation matrices or
SO(3)), you usually can't just use numpy arrays in the optimization
implementations that we have. You really do need to rewrite the
algorithm in terms of the abstract operations. For example,

http://www-math.mit.edu/~lippert/sgmin.html

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."