[SciPy-dev] Single precision FFT

Tue Jan 6 03:44:03 CST 2009

Stéfan van der Walt wrote:
> 2008/12/1 Anne Archibald <aarchiba@physics.mcgill.ca>:
>
>> I'd also like to suggest that, if possible, it would be nice if
>> single-precision FFTs were not a separate module, or even a separate
>> function, but instead the usual fft function selected them when handed
>> a single-precision input.
>>

> Has there been any progress on the single precision FFT front?

Not that I am aware of - for sure nothing has been committed to the
scipy tree. There was some discussion recently about something
interested in doing the work in numpy - but I think this should be done
in scipy (to avoid putting more code in numpy - and because the
underliong fortran code is already there for single precision in scipy
case).

For anyone moderately familiar with f2py and numpy, it would not take
much time, since it would mostly be a copy and paste of the existing
code for the low-level wrapper, and a bit careful work to avoid breaking
any public API for the high-level wrapper,

cheers,

David