[SciPy-dev] Is scipy.stci an orphan?

josef.pktd@gmai... josef.pktd@gmai...
Tue Jan 6 11:58:17 CST 2009

On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 12:37 PM, Christopher Hanley <chanley@stsci.edu> wrote:
> josef.pktd@gmail.com wrote:

>>> It is not orphaned code.  It was distributed with numarray but moved to
>>> scipy when we moved to numpy.
>>>
>>> It does not have the same capabilities as ndimage.
>>>
>>> Chris
>>>

>>> --
>>> Christopher Hanley
>>> Senior Systems Software Engineer
>>> Space Telescope Science Institute
>>> 3700 San Martin Drive
>>> Baltimore MD, 21218
>>> (410) 338-4338
>>>

>> To expose it to the public, I tried to add scipy.stsci to the docs at
>> http://docs.scipy.org/scipy/docs/scipy-docs/stsci.rst/ but the links
>> are not working yet.
>>
>> Someone familiar with it, might want to check the information and
>> maybe add some explanation.
>>
>> Josef
>>
>> Josef
>
> OK.  Thanks.  I'll look into updating the information.
>
> Chris
>

> --
> Christopher Hanley
> Senior Systems Software Engineer
> Space Telescope Science Institute
> 3700 San Martin Drive
> Baltimore MD, 21218
> (410) 338-4338

I think the imports are also not correctly exposed.

* convolve and image are not exposed on the stsci module level (no
__all__ anywhere_) and have to be imported individually. I don't know
if this is on purpose, but it might confuse the doc generation

* there is a `scipy.stsci.convolve.lineshape` that really looks
orphaned, import doesn't work and it doesn't seem to be used, but I
didn't check carefully

* test coverage = 0

>>> stsci.convolve
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<pyshell#36>", line 1, in <module>
    stsci.convolve
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'convolve'
>>> from scipy.stsci import convolve

>>> import scipy.stsci.convolve.lineshape as lsh
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<pyshell#43>", line 1, in <module>
    import scipy.stsci.convolve.lineshape as lsh
  File "\Programs\Python25\Lib\site-packages\scipy\stsci\convolve\lineshape.py",
line 43, in <module>
    from convolve._lineshape import *
ImportError: No module named convolve._lineshape

Josef