[SciPy-dev] Is scipy.stci an orphan?

Christopher Hanley chanley@stsci....
Tue Jan 6 12:08:25 CST 2009

josef.pktd@gmail.com wrote:
> I think the imports are also not correctly exposed.
>
> * convolve and image are not exposed on the stsci module level (no
> __all__ anywhere_) and have to be imported individually. I don't know
> if this is on purpose, but it might confuse the doc generation
>
> * there is a `scipy.stsci.convolve.lineshape` that really looks
> orphaned, import doesn't work and it doesn't seem to be used, but I
> didn't check carefully
>
> * test coverage = 0

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<pyshell#36>", line 1, in <module>
>     stsci.convolve
> AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'convolve'

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<pyshell#43>", line 1, in <module>
>     import scipy.stsci.convolve.lineshape as lsh
>   File "\Programs\Python25\Lib\site-packages\scipy\stsci\convolve\lineshape.py",
> line 43, in <module>
>     from convolve._lineshape import *
> ImportError: No module named convolve._lineshape
>
> Josef

OK.  I'll check the imports and see about making the stsci module level
stuff more scipy friendly.

There are doctests for image and convolve.  I will look into exposing them.

We normally package these as stand alone modules with our software
distributions.  We haven't yet wanted our users to need to install
scipy.  Obviously we need to make this more scipy friendly as well.

Chris

--
Christopher Hanley
Senior Systems Software Engineer