[SciPy-dev] Is scipy.stci an orphan?

Christopher Hanley chanley@stsci....
Tue Jan 6 13:02:34 CST 2009

I don't think it is for us (STScI) to decide if image and convolve
should be part of scipy.  I will leave that decision to the scipy community.

I will say that image and convolve were once distributed with the
numarray open source project.  When that project was discontinued there
was some desire within the community to keep the projects available to
developers.  Numpy was not an appropriate location given its desire to
be minimalistic in size and scope.  Scipy was the logical solution at
the time.  Perhaps that is not the case anymore.

Although we happily accept patches and make our code freely available
the stsci_python distribution is not as readily modified by external
developers as a project like scipy.  This is due to our need to support
a software production environment for the HST and JWST.

So that is some of the history that went into getting image and convolve
where they are now.  I'll let others way the pros and cons of keeping
them in scipy and then delete them if desired.

Thanks,
Chris