[SciPy-dev] test errors blocking 0.7.x branch

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Wed Jan 7 17:29:55 CST 2009

On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 5:50 PM, Jarrod Millman <millman@berkeley.edu> wrote:

> ERROR: no_test_no_check_return (test_wx_spec.TestWxConverter)

As a note, an easy way of seeing all the wx problems is to run the
test suite inside a screen session, which doesn't set $DISPLAY.  In
that case, you start seeing a lot of:

ERROR: no_test_no_check_return (test_wx_spec.TestWxConverter)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/fperez/usr/opt/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/scipy/weave/tests/test_wx_spec.py",
line 30, in setUp
    self.app = wx.App()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode/wx/_core.py",
line 7880, in __init__
    raise SystemExit(msg)
SystemExit: Unable to access the X Display, is $DISPLAY set properly?

IMHO, the WX support in weave might as well be ripped out altogether.
I'd be very surprised if it really works at all, and it seems to be a
remnant from the early days when scipy had lots of plotting and GUI
support.  Now that scipy's focus is pretty much algorithms, and
scientific computing (which includes data formats, I/O and a few
non-numerical things, I know), it seems to me that keeping WX code
around is just creating unnecessary noise and maintenance headaches.

Does anyone know if the WX code in weave actually works correctly
under any circumstances?  I'm honestly curious, especially because
seeing code like:

searched_locations = ['c:\third\wxpython*',
                          '/usr/lib/wx*']

makes me a bit suspicious :)

Just an opinion from the peanut gallery...

Cheers,