[SciPy-dev] removing wx-related weave code (was test errors blocking 0.7.x branch)

Jarrod Millman millman@berkeley....
Wed Jan 7 19:06:30 CST 2009

I changed the subject line for this because I wanted to make sure
everyone reads it.  The only remaining issue that needs to be resolved
before I tag the 0.7.0rc1 is what to do about the wx-related weave
tests.  Depending on your configuration and how you run the tests, the
wx-related weave code will generate a number of test errors.  I think
that given the huge amount effort that has gone into making a very
polished 0.7.0 release, we need to deal with these errors quickly.

After looking at the code, I don't believe we are going to be able to
fix these errors so there are only two options that I see:

1. Mark all the wx-related weave tests as known failures
2. Remove the wx-related weave code and tests

Fernando's email below advocates the 2nd option, which is the one I am
slightly leaning to at this point.  I would rather not add a number of
known failures to our test system at this point, especially for code
that doesn't seem to me to be very likely to work on many systems
given the number of hard-coded paths in wx_spec.py (stefan fixed this
somewhat in r3266).

I would like to know if anyone is using this functionality, so if you
are or know someone who is please speak up immediately.