[SciPy-dev] removing wx-related weave code (was test errors blocking 0.7.x branch)

David Cournapeau cournape@gmail....
Wed Jan 28 23:10:32 CST 2009

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 12:54 PM, Jarrod Millman <millman@berkeley.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 7:25 PM, Nathan Bell <wnbell@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 12:31 PM, Prabhu Ramachandran
>> <prabhu@aero.iitb.ac.in> wrote:
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, testing this requires the use of nasty external
>>> resources.  In particular it requires that VTK be installed and that
>>> weave be told where to find the VTK headers and libraries.  In any case,
>>> I modified the paths suitably in the example corresponding to my
>>> system's VTK setup and it seems to work fine -- note that I'm using
>>> version 0.6.0 that ships with Ubuntu rather than SVN.
>>>

>> This speaks in favor of distributing the package separately from SciPy.
>
> I know there has been a lot of disagreement with me on this before,
> but I am very much in favor of splitting weave into its own project
> entirely.  It doesn't belong in scipy.  Over the last year, Stefan,
> David, and I spent a fair amount of time on fixing issues with weave
> because we wanted to get scipy released.  It slowed down the release
> and diverted effort that could have been spent on other parts of
> scipy, which also need attention!

I think the main problem with weave in that particular case was that I
am not a user of weave myself, specially on windows. Thus, the problem
is not so much specific to weave than an example of the general
dogfooding problem in open source: people mostly care about what they
use.

I am not sure I understand the parts concerning VTK and weave
interactions; one one hand, I think we should remove as much as
possible anything with complicated dependencies in scipy, but removing
this feature (as any other feature) means breaking scipy for some
people.

cheers,

David