[SciPy-dev] removing wx-related weave code (was test errors blocking 0.7.x branch)

Thu Jan 29 01:10:04 CST 2009

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 11:05:21PM -0800, Jarrod Millman wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 9:10 PM, David Cournapeau <cournape@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I think the main problem with weave in that particular case was that I
> > am not a user of weave myself, specially on windows. Thus, the problem
> > is not so much specific to weave than an example of the general
> > dogfooding problem in open source: people mostly care about what they
> > use.

> Does anyone who is actively developing SciPy use weave?  If not, this
> is going to be a recurring problem.

I see a solution to this: wait a bit more for cython to stabilise and
people to get used to it, and then say that weave is depreciated in the
favor of cython, and move it out. I can see such a scheme working (it has
worked for me: I no longer really favor weave, cython is nicer).

Gaël