[SciPy-dev] removing wx-related weave code (was test errors blocking 0.7.x branch)

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu@aero.iitb.ac...
Thu Jan 29 05:18:26 CST 2009

On 01/29/09 10:40, David Cournapeau wrote:
> I am not sure I understand the parts concerning VTK and weave
> interactions; one one hand, I think we should remove as much as
> possible anything with complicated dependencies in scipy, but removing
> this feature (as any other feature) means breaking scipy for some
> people.

While I understand the frustrations with weave and the lack of developer
interest, the vtk support is entirely optional and should not as such
affect your decision to retain or remove weave from scipy.  You can
build and install weave without either wx, VTK, swig etc. installed.
You obviously can't have automated testing of any of those features
though.  However, once built, and if VTK is available, you can safely
use the vtk_spec file to interface to VTK.  Thats a big enough pro for
me to think keeping it in makes sense.  Besides, this is weave specific
and it really does not make sense to put this in VTK or swig or wx.

cheers,
prabhu