[SciPy-dev] Special assignment for someone w/ "Unimportant" privileges

David Goldsmith d_l_goldsmith@yahoo....
Fri Jul 24 00:37:23 CDT 2009

--- On Thu, 7/23/09, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers@googlemail.com> wrote:

> There's a few different types of uncategorized
> docstrings:
>
> - some that were overlooked. i think charrayarray and
> matrix can be two new categories for example.
> - methods of classes that are in a category (see for
> example broadcast), those can be left where they are as
> well. they can easily be done together with the class, but
> there's no need to stuff them in existing categories.

Matrix already is a category, one marked Goal Met, but I see that many of class matrix's methods are white or grey: Joe, if you read this, since you set the goal, does it include these methods that aren't on the Milestones page themselves, but are methods of a class that is on the Milestones page?  I know the general feeling is that the Milestones page is already too long (i.e., takes too long to load because so many objects on it means database queries take a long time), but, if these methods are part of the goal, I'd like to see these "methods-in-the-goal-but-not-on-the-Milestones-page" all in one place somewhere, sorted out of the other "un-categories" Ralf discusses below.  I know the Q & A page is also getting long, but what about there?

> - the rst files that form the User Guide, can be left where
> they are for now.
>
> - things like testing and distutils. it's important
> that they get documented at some point, but they are not
> very accessible topics and not as urgent as many of the
> categories. fine where they are.

OK, so two of these "un-categories" are "Unimportant Now, Do Eventually"; I know we're just going to have to redo the color scheme again shortly to accommodate the dual review process, but how difficult would it be to add one color now, say lavender, or bright orange, for this "UNDE" status?

> - some unimportant ones. there really are not that many of
> them.

Still, it'd be nice to weed them out, as I (and I'm sure many other potential writers) don't know which they are - I don't want to be working on 'em, and I don't want volunteers working on 'em, if they're Unimportant.

> The one big group of docstrings I'm not sure about is
> everything in numpy.generic. They are all undocumented and
> the source is not available in the wiki. Anyone know what to
> do with those?

Well, someone "in the know" could take a look at what I did for the attributes in the .generic namespace and opine on whether that's (in)sufficient...

DG