[SciPy-dev] scipy.stats._chk_asarray

josef.pktd@gmai... josef.pktd@gmai...
Wed Jun 3 00:15:40 CDT 2009

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 12:55 AM, Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> that doesn't convert to basic np.array, but I didn't get very far.
>>> nanmedian, and nanstd are not easy to convert to work with matrices,
>>> nanstd uses multiplication and nanmedian uses np.compress
>>
>> Well, what about that:
>> * convert the inputs to ndarray w/ _chk_asarray
>> * compute as usual
>> * return a view of the result using the type of the input (using the
>> type keyword of view)
>> That should work w/ nanmedian. There might be some adjustment to make
>> for nanstd (pb of dimensions?)
>
> That is what I was suggesting, only in decorator form so it could be
> applied everywhere. It's not worth wasting time making a small handful
> of functions work and be inconsistent with all of the others.

If someone gives me this decorator, I will use it, but I don't know
how to write a decorator that works for all input and output cases,
and doesn't screw up our documentation system.

But I can change 2 lines per function, and I know I still have the
same signature and docstring. It looks like it will work for all
descriptive statistics and data transformation in scipy.stats. It
won't be relevant for most of the remainder.

Josef