[SciPy-dev] Definitions of pv, fv, nper, pmt, and rate

Stéfan van der Walt stefan@sun.ac...
Mon Jun 8 14:02:46 CDT 2009

Hi David

2009/6/8 David Goldsmith <d_l_goldsmith@yahoo.com>:
> Hi, folks.  Unable to find a printed reference for the definition we use to compute each of these functions, I posted a couple queries for help in this regard in the Discussion for fv
> (http://docs.scipy.org/numpy/docs/numpy.lib.financial.fv/#discussion-sec).  josef Pktd's reply (thanks!) just makes me even more doubtful that we're using the definition that most users from the financial community would be expecting.  At this point, I'd have to say, my position is: someone needs to refer me to a printed reference documenting this definition, or I contend that our implementation is "wrong" (or at least inconsistent with what's used in financial circles).

These functions are from numpy, so it's probably best to move the
conversation to numpy-discussion.  I'm sure Travis will give you
feedback on his original implementation there.

Regards
Stéfan