[SciPy-dev] Doc-ing classes and data attributes

Skipper Seabold jsseabold@gmail....
Sat Jun 20 18:31:33 CDT 2009

On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 7:23 PM, David Goldsmith<d_l_goldsmith@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Ok, a couple follow-up questions: where precisely should documentation of __init__, and the Attributes and Methods sections (when needed) go?  In other words, docstringstandard says, "Use the same sections as outlined [for Functions]," but as Functions don't have __init__, Attributes, or Methods, it is unclear where in the "above" template these new items should go.
>
> Also, since __init__ is a method, I assume it should itself be documented like any other method, i.e., w/ a definition, one line desc., multi-line desc., parameters section, etc.  To my mind, to avoid clutter and excessively long docstrings, it seems like it should be documented separately; but then perhaps what is meant is that documenting the class is really documenting its __init__?
>
> Thanks,
>
> DG

I've been having similar questions myself is there a good example in
the code of a class that is documented correctly or at least a best
practice way?  I've kind of been going off ODR and distributions in
stats as needed.

Skipper