[SciPy-dev] Definition of class multiarray

David Goldsmith d_l_goldsmith@yahoo....
Fri Jun 26 15:28:20 CDT 2009

--- On Fri, 6/26/09, Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com> wrote:

> Goldsmith<d_l_goldsmith@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > OK, tried to figure it out myself, but:
> >
> > Do ndarray.<method>s which have an "equivalent"
> numpy.<method> actually call the numpy method to
> operate on self?
>
> Note that the latter are called functions, not methods.

Sorry, of course, my bad.

> Where there is
> an equivalence, the function calls the method, not vice
> versa. Take a
> look at the source of numpy.std, for instance.

Interesting; why? Because presently we're doing the doc the other way: if someone does help(ndarray.<method>) (and there's an equivalent numpy function) they're referred to the function for (detailed) help. :-)  Granted, this "reversal" probably doesn't matter since which is calling which isn't typically seen by the user, but I just thought I'd note it in case anyone has a problem with it (and thus wants to discuss it further).

DG