[SciPy-dev] [SciPy-user] [ANN] SciPy 2009 conference opened up for registration

Darren Dale dsdale24@gmail....
Mon Jun 29 07:56:18 CDT 2009

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 7:55 PM, Gael Varoquaux <
gael.varoquaux@normalesup.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 05:20:08PM -0600, Ondrej Certik wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 8:01 AM, Gael
> > Varoquaux<gael.varoquaux@normalesup.org> wrote:
> > > We are finally opening the registration for the SciPy 2009 conference.
> It
> > > took us time, but the reason is that we made careful budget estimations
> > > to bring the registration cost down.
>
> > > We are very happy to announce that this year registration to the
> > > conference will be only $150, sprints $100, and students get half
> price!
> > > We made this effort because we hope it will open up the conference to
> > > more people, especially students that often have to finance this trip
> > > with little budget. As a consequence, however, catering at noon is not
> > > included.
>
> > One more question -- how can I actually register for the conference? I
> went to:
>
> > http://conference.scipy.org/
>
> > registered and sent the abstract (some time ago already). So today I
> > logged in and clicked "registration":
>
> > http://conference.scipy.org/to_register
>
> > which says "To register to the conference, create an account on this
> > site and log in. Go to your profile page, you can submit an abstract
> > or register to the conference.", so I clicked on my profile page:
>
> > http://conference.scipy.org/profile
>
> > which shows my abstract, but it says "The conference is not yet open
> > for registration.". So how can I pay the conference fees and register?
>
> Well, well. Looks like I did things too quickly, or too jet-lagged. I
> had forgotten to pull the setting on the server. That's why we where not
> observing any registration. Thank you for signaling it, I wonder how many
> people had tried and failed.

I logged in this morning to see about submitting an abstract, and I see the
following:

"Couldn't connect to registration server. We cannot display your
registration information"

Below that there are links for changing personal information, registering
for the conference, and submitting an abstract, but it is not clear that I
should proceed if the registration server is unreachable. Can anyone
confirm?

Darren