[SciPy-dev] talkbox scikit

Wed Mar 4 07:11:39 CST 2009

Georg Holzmann wrote:
> Hallo!
>

>> Just my opinion, but from the names and descriptions of these, I think
>> several could easily be argued to belong with signal processing
>> functionality in scipy.signal, as they do not appear to be limited to
>> sound/speech applications.
>>

> Yes, maybe ...
> However, maybe it is a good first step to put them into talkbox.
> Then people can try it and if they think it is useful for scipy, they
> can move it there ...

Yes, that's exactly the point (and the only rationale for BSD code -
using GPL would have been better to use fftw and co). Also, scipy.signal
is already kind of messy and would need some code cleaning (there is a
lot of old code which would benefit to be updated with recent numpy
facilities, such as array iterators). I would prefer making it better
before adding more code.

Finally, being in scikits means the code can change as much as the
author want, there is much less constraints compared to being in scipy.

cheers,

David