[SciPy-dev] Git-svn sub-optimality

Sun Mar 8 03:31:24 CDT 2009

Pauli Virtanen wrote:
> Hi David (& other prospective git-svn users),
>
> I just ran into a speedbump with git-svn and using the Git mirror:
>
>     http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/wiki/GitMirror#Abigfatwordofwarning
>
> In short: apparently git-svn does not automatically track SVN commits
> appearing elsewhere than locally via `git-svn fetch/rebase`. So if you
> want to `dcommit` after `git fetch`ing from the mirror or from someone
> else, the database of git-svn needs to be rebuilt:
>
>     rm -rf .git/svn
>     git svn rebase -l
>
> Otherwise, the `dcommit` will shove bogus changesets to SVN. (Ouch!)

Hm, do you have an example of that ? It never happened to me. My typical
usage is when I start working on numpy is:

git svn fetch --all
git co master && git svn rebase -l
git co -b line_of_work

When I use dcommit, it first rebase my changes on top of svn last
revision if the last svn revision differs from the on I have locally.

cheers,

David