[SciPy-dev] recommended compiler for distributing scikits windows binaries

David Cournapeau cournape@gmail....
Mon Mar 23 20:05:59 CDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 2:56 AM, Matt Knox <mattknox.ca@gmail.com> wrote:
> Pierre and I are preparing to do a first official release of the timeseries
> scikit once numpy 1.3 is released and I was just wondering what compiler I
> should be using to distribute binaries for windows.
>
> What compiler is being used to build the official numpy binaries? MinGW? or
> MSVC?

Mingw (the official release, that is 3.*-based).

> I assume it is recommended to use the same compiler for building numpy C
> extensions that was used to build numpy itself?

Yes and no. Yes, it is better to use the same compiler - but we
already break this rule with numpy, since numpy and python do not use
the same compiler. The problem with MS compilers is that you need to
use a different compiler for every python version; in particular,
there is no free version of VS 2003.net (the one used for python 2.4
and 2.5), and using VS 2005 or later will definitely not work.

Actually, the problem is not so much the compiler as the same C runtime.

> Also, do I need to compile separate versions using each of the binaries included
> in the numpy superpack installers and thus create a "superpack" of my own for
> the C extensions to work with all versions?

No - but build against numpy 1.3, to avoid getting special
optimization flags which may render your binary useless for low-spec
machines.

>. And will binaries compiled against the current
> numpy 1.3 beta version continue to work properly with the final released version?

They should.

cheers,

David