[SciPy-dev] Summer of Code: Proposal for Implementing date/time types in NumPy

Matt Knox mattknox.ca@gmail....
Wed Mar 25 07:12:50 CDT 2009

> Hello,
> I was reading through the Summer of Code ideas and I'm terribly
> interested in date/time proposal
> (http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/browser/trunk/doc/neps/datetime-proposal3.rst).
> I would love to work on this for a Google Summer of Code project. I'm
> a sophmore studying Computer Science and Mathematics at Kent State
> University in Ohio, so this project directly relates to my studies. Is
> there anyone looking into this proposal yet?
>

> You might want to cross post on the numpy mailing list also just to make sure
> Francesc sees it. Note also the recent post by Matt Knox (Recommended
> compiler...), he and Pierre might also be interested in this work.

Not to discourage anyone from working on this, but since my name was brought up
I'll just mention that I am not personally that interested in this project as
the scikits.timeseries package fulfills my needs for handling date/time data. We
use an integer array with some meta data to represent the "dates" portion of our
TimeSeries class and it seems to work fairly well for the most part. It isn't
very often I need to store dates for the actual "values" in an array (as opposed
to just representing the time dimension), but for the odd occasion that I do I
find using an object dtype array with standard datetime values to be sufficient.

That being said, the timeseries module is not the silver bullet for every need
and does have limitations that are addressed in this proposal such as
frequencies higher than seconds (microsecond, etc), but again these aren't
interesting to me personally given the type of data I work with. And things like
"Quarterly frequency with different origins" (mentioned at the bottom of the
proposal) are very important for the timeseries module but considered out of
scope for the date/time data type enhancement proposal.

- Matt