[SciPy-dev] Porting SciPy to Py3k GSOC project

Wed Mar 25 14:01:15 CDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 8:26 AM, Dag Sverre Seljebotn <
dagss@student.matnat.uio.no> wrote:

> David Huard wrote:
> >
> > My understanding is that Pearu still maintains the code in the sense
> > that he fixes the occasional bugs, but does not actively develop it
> > anymore. He started a refactoring of the code known as f2py g3 which
> > is hosted at http://launchpad.net/f2py/ but this project seems to be
> > on hold for the moment.
> > If you wish to work on f2py, I suggest you make sure he has some time
> > to act as mentor for this project
> Note that I'm currently discussing a GSoC project in the Cython camp on
> Fortran integration with a promising student (with me as mentor). One
> possibility we're looking at is using f2py for parsing and Cython as the
> backend/output format. The aim would be to have a more transparent
> Cython/Fortran experience without having to go through a Python layer.
>
> I'll get back to the NumPy list in a day or two when we have discussed
> the road we want to take a bit more.

Looking at numpy again, there are certainly large chunks of python code that
could use auditing before a future transition is attempted, the tests for
instance. Last I heard, nose didn't run on python3, nor can we run the tests
on python3 until most of the rest of Numpy is ported. Even so, there are
probably some idioms that will make the transition difficult and they could
be cleaned up. Having someone with experience in the area could be very
helpful in spotting and fixing such things. And it might also serve to start
putting together a more detailed plan for how to get to python3.0 when the
time comes.

Chuck