[SciPy-dev] Cython, f2py and GSoC

Kurt Smith kwmsmith@gmail....
Thu Mar 26 12:14:33 CDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 10:20 AM, Sturla Molden <sturla@molden.no> wrote:
> On 3/26/2009 3:45 PM, Dag Sverre Seljebotn wrote:
>
>> Though we could always skip wrapping of functions which already are
>> declared BIND(C), that's actually a nice idea. This would make it
>> possible to write a wrapper manually and skip this overhead in extreme
>> situations (where the Fortran compiler also cannot inline the call),
>> while still having Python bindings generated.
>

> If the idea is to take a Fortran module and autogenerate an .f03 file
> with C bindings and a corresponding C/C++ header, I don't really see
> where Cython comes in. Such a tool would be useful beyond the Python
> community.

The project has 2 'fronts': the Fortran <-> C/Cython/Python bindings
end with a patched & updated f2py, and enhancing Cython to pass python
buffers to external functions.

The Fortran bindings generator would be able to generate bindings that
are python-buffer aware.  Currently one has to include the array
bounds information in the argument list for all fortran functions to
work with f2py; one can't use the nice assumed-shape arrays in Fortran
90 and later.  We would be adding that functionality (among other
things).  One could then seamlessly pass around multi-dimensional
numpy arrays to external fortran functions that use assumed-shape
arrays.

Kurt