[SciPy-dev] NumPy f2py GSOC project

Fri Mar 27 03:13:58 CDT 2009

ross smith wrote:
> I have tried to contact Pearu but my schools mail server has bounced
> the emails I send back for some reason. I'm going to try again tomorrow.

Which email address did you use ? My impression is that Pearu still
partcipates in the numpy/scipy mailing lists.

> code clean-up/plan building is something that does interest me.  I've
> seen a few other mentor organizations that have 'bug fixer'  ideas
> listed for gsoc projects so I think I could sell a project like
> that.   the way I'd see it working is, I'd help clean-up code and
> bugfix for the first part of the summer, to get acquainted with the
> various pieces to NumPy, then the later portion would be starting to
> flesh out a plan for the transition.  I'll see what I can come up with
> for a proposal for this type of project.

As you can see, there is no clear answer from us about the 3k transition
- simply because not many people have a clear idea of what is needed.
For example, neither Stefan or Chuck, both significant contributors can
suggest a clear roadmap; neither can I. Now, there are people who know
numpy internals very well, but it may be hard for them to find the time
to help you - and maybe if they had that time in the first place, it
would be easier to do it by themselves than to mentor you :)

So basically, yes, I would agree with the assertion that GSoC focused 3k
is not a very good project, not in the current context at least - unless
you are extremely familiar with numpy internals (which is not the case
as I understand, right ?).

If you are interested in working on scipy-related projects, something
which could help the transition is to replace C code by cython. This
would be particularly helpful in scipy - there are many modules which
are crufty and would benefit from code cleaning, but if you don't know
cython, maybe that's not something that interesting for you. Cython is
not difficult to use, though. scipy.signal comes to mind, to take
something where I could definitely help you - but there are other
modules as well, where other people would be more qualified
(scipy.ndimage, etc...). One module means that it would be easier for
you to work on, easier for use to help/coordinate, and at least in the
case of scipy.signal, there is definitely some new features which are
needed as well (new feature is generally more fun than code cleanup/bug
hunting). Of course, you should choose  modules which interest you.

And if you become a regular numpy/scipy contributor, you will be able to
help for the transition later anyway.

cheers,

David