[SciPy-dev] Numpy/Scipy GSOC project(s)

Mon Mar 30 04:47:26 CDT 2009

Hi Ross,

ross smith wrote:

> I've tried pearu@cens.ioc.ee <mailto:pearu@cens.ioc.ee> ,  the issue
> has and is that my schools mail server is rejecting my outbound emails.

Ok. I have contacted him personally - I will keep the mailing list posted.

>     If you are interested in working on scipy-related projects, something
>     which could help the transition is to replace C code by cython. This
>     would be particularly helpful in scipy - there are many modules which
>     are crufty and would benefit from code cleaning, but if you don't know
>     cython, maybe that's not something that interesting for you. Cython is
>     not difficult to use, though. scipy.signal comes to mind, to take
>     something where I could definitely help you - but there are other
>     modules as well, where other people would be more qualified
>     (scipy.ndimage, etc...). at least in the
>     case of scipy.signal, there is definitely some new features which are
>     needed as well (new feature is generally more fun than code
>     cleanup/bug
>     hunting). Of course, you should choose  modules which interest you.
>

> scipy.signal sounds very interesting to me.  I've been toying with the
> idea of a soft-synth written in python for a while now.    I would be
> up for tidying up that module.  what other features would be of use to
> implement?

For scipy.signal:
    - a lot of C code is 'old', using 'old' idioms. The module works
well, but modifying it when there are bugs is challenging. In
particular, a lot of array indexing is done manually, but numpy now have
array iterator which makes this much easier to handle.
    - The new numpy generalized ufunc may be useful to improve the
functionalities of things like filtering, etc... (I have yet to study
generalized ufunc).
    - some new code to fill the gap compared to matlab signal toolbox
(LPC analysis, etc... I already have some code to that purpose in the
talkbox scikits, but the code would need to be generalized to arbitrary
rank)

What's your background in signal processing ? Would you be more
interested in new features or bug cleaning ?

> > As a start, what would be extremely useful is to be able to build
> >Cython ufuncs on the fly.

For cython, you should definitely ask the cython ML.

cheers,

David