[SciPy-dev] How to handle code contribution with GSoC students ?

Pierre GM pgmdevlist@gmail....
Fri May 1 03:03:03 CDT 2009

On Apr 29, 2009, at 10:44 AM, Stéfan van der Walt wrote:

> 2009/4/29 David Cournapeau <david@ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp>:
>>    I was wondering about the best way to handle code by students for
>> the upcoming GSoC. The year I participated, I already had write
>> access,
>> so the question did not come up. I think I would prefer starting with
>> code reviews, before giving them svn write access later. Do people
>> have
>> better suggestions ?
>
> It's a good time to learn about distributed revision control :)  So
> yes, let's have review branches.

A whole branch for modifications to only one specific submodule ?
Isn't it a bit too much (OK, I must admit that I'm not particularly
familiar with the details of "distributed revision cntrol"). Wouldn't
it be simpler to have something on git/mercurial/bazaar/whatever-is-
recommended-by-the-community-at-large ? Which would simplifying
reviewing and avoid potential mess ?
But once again, I don't know much about versioning...