[SciPy-dev] How to handle code contribution with GSoC students ?

Fri May 1 03:06:09 CDT 2009

Pierre GM wrote:
> On Apr 29, 2009, at 10:44 AM, Stéfan van der Walt wrote:
>

>> 2009/4/29 David Cournapeau <david@ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp>:
>>
>>>    I was wondering about the best way to handle code by students for
>>> the upcoming GSoC. The year I participated, I already had write
>>> access,
>>> so the question did not come up. I think I would prefer starting with
>>> code reviews, before giving them svn write access later. Do people
>>> have
>>> better suggestions ?
>>>
>> It's a good time to learn about distributed revision control :)  So
>> yes, let's have review branches.
>>

> A whole branch for modifications to only one specific submodule ?

One possibility is to have one sandbox / student, the student would only
commit in the sandbox, and the mentor would be responsible for merging
it into the trunk. The advantage of this technique is that the mentor
can do all the work if desired (updating the branch from the trunk,
merging, etc...).

Using something like git, bzr or hg is easier for the mentor, but this
assumes the student knows how to use them. I am not sure I want to
bother students with new tools if they don't know them - getting
familiar with the scipy code, how to build, run and test it is already
enough as a barrier of entry.

cheers,

David