[SciPy-dev] Should ndimage.measurements.* should return lists if index is a list?

Stéfan van der Walt stefan@sun.ac...
Fri May 1 13:07:15 CDT 2009

2009/5/1 Thouis (Ray) Jones <thouis@broad.mit.edu>:
> The new code's about 5 times slower than the current tree, *not*
> taking into account time spent in the _labeled_reduce function(s).
> Most of that time is the call to argsort() and the subsequent
> reorderings in labeled_reduce.  There might be some tricks to avoid
> those.
>
> The code is 10-20 times slower altogether.

I don't think we should read too much into that.  After we've
optimised the code using Cython, we may very well be cose to where we
started.

Either way, in my opinion a 5 times slow-down in exchange for a
maintainable library is well worth it.

Regards
Stéfan