[SciPy-dev] backporting changes in scipy.stats

Bruce Southey bsouthey@gmail....
Thu May 14 16:01:46 CDT 2009

josef.pktd@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 4:16 PM, Bruce Southey <bsouthey@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> josef.pktd@gmail.com wrote:

>>> Thanks, that sounds easy enough. I have usually only the trunk checked out.
>>> There is one set of changes, the removal of stats.mean, var, std and
>>> median, that we don't want to backport, but this could be confined to
>>> the four functions. I'm very used to winmerge, so I can do this by the
>>> end of the week.
>>>
>>> Josef
>>>

>> Hi,
>> Can you also add ticket 877 (Depreciation of samplevar in scipy.stats)
>> since it is the same reason as removing stats.std?
>>
>> The other possibility is ticket 906 Depreciate erfc function.
>>

> What's the policy for depreciation warnings, should they be
> backported?  I can commit and backport them, but do the functions
> remain available during the 0.8.x cycle.
>
> erfc, samplevar and samplestd are redundant, but I'm starting to
> change my mind a bit about the removal of stats.var and stats.mean.
>
> see my comments to http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/ticket/604
>
> Josef

Hi,
Okay, I misunderstood what you were suggesting.

I do not think that redundant functions should be present as per the Zen
of Python:
'There should be one-- and preferably only one --obvious way to do it'.

The issue of using weights is a different aspect that should really be
handled at a low level not the way done in that ticket (and I will add
my comments to the ticket). I'll avoid the NaN issue as that has been
raised in the past.

Bruce