[SciPy-dev] binary compatibility question

josef.pktd@gmai... josef.pktd@gmai...
Sat May 16 06:10:01 CDT 2009

On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 6:25 AM, David Cournapeau
<david@ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> josef.pktd@gmail.com wrote:
>> On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 11:06 PM, David Cournapeau
>> <david@ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:

>>> This is strange. Did you remove the build directory and the previously
>>> installed scipy before building scipy 0.7.1 against 1.2.1 ? This should
>>> definitely work. I am testing it ATM,
>>>

>> I removed the build directory between builts, but I had a recent scipy
>> trunk on the python path, since this usually didn't cause any problems
>> for the building. I followed my usual procedure for compiling scipy,
>> but I had never tried with a downgraded numpy before.
>>

> You are using virtualenv, right ? I think that's the best solution on
> windows. In that context, you keep one environment per released numpy
> you are interested in (1.2.1 here), and one for development purpose.
>
>> If the build of  scipy 0.7.1 against numpy 1.2.1 works for you, then I
>> will check everything to see why my usual setup didn't work for this
>> case.
>>

> I can confirm it works. I fixed a couple of issues (none of which would
> have caused the crash, though) on 0.7.x + numpy 1.2.1 combination on win
> XP, with several full test runs, without any trouble.

good, which means I need to start from the beginning.

I'm using the virtualenv to run different versions, but not to build.
With earlier versions of virtualenv it wasn't possible to build
extension in a virtualenv on Windows, but I haven't tried this in half
a year or so.

To build against numpy 1.2.1, I replaced numpy in pythons  sitepackages.

Josef