[SciPy-dev] 0.7.1: new schedule

Pauli Virtanen pav@iki...
Fri May 22 18:41:40 CDT 2009

Fri, 22 May 2009 14:51:36 +0900, David Cournapeau wrote:
[clip]
> But not this one: the changes do not apply, there need to be other
> commits as well - even by importing assert_to_tol code as well for the
> tests to run, 5 tests are failing.

I'd like to backport everything from trunk in scipy.special, except the
following:

	9600bcf... Revert "use np.power in rdist (test commit with bzr)"
	ff046c6... Do not detect Endianess in Cephes.
	3a99ec1... Add test case for ndtr.

The bzr commit was broken, and the ndtr/endianness fixes break other
things. All other commits are bugfixes of some sort; no feature additions
here. What are fixed is:

	#803	- pbdv errors
	#503	- reimplementation of real Bessel I
	#854	- correct NaN returns for iv/jv/ etc when out-of-domain
	#853	- fix invalid return values from complex Bessel functions
	#623	- fix invalid return values from real Bessel J
	#852	- make Bessel zeros computable for orders > 100

Plus some minor documentation fixes.

And also the following:

- The special functions now raise warnings instead of printing to stderr,
  if the errprint toggle is enabled (it was and is disabled by default.

- The real-valued jve, ive, yve, kve, and kv functions return now NAN
  when the result would be complex-valued. (Previously they returned the
  real part.)

    ***

I have the stuff already backported here:

	http://github.com/pv/scipy-work/commits/work-0.7.x

The differences to trunk are minimal:

	git diff --stat ..svn/trunk -- scipy/special

	 scipy/special/cephes/mconf.h      |   12 +++++++++++-
	 scipy/special/tests/test_basic.py |    4 +++-

I used this script to do the backporting:

	http://www.iki.fi/pav/tmp/git-cherry-tree

And it went like this:

	http://www.iki.fi/pav/tmp/special-rebase-trace.txt

The -o mode of git-cherry-tree seems to be useful for keeping track of
stuff to backport.

BTW, do we want to do backports commit-by-commit, or in larger chunks?
Currently, this is commit-by-commit.

--
Pauli Virtanen