[SciPy-dev] contributing a CHOLMOD wrapper

Wed Nov 4 15:28:02 CST 2009

On Wed, Nov 04, 2009 at 01:25:12PM -0800, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> I've written a fairly complete wrapper for CHOLMOD (the SuiteSparse
> library for sparse Cholesky decomposition) in Cython for my own use,
> and it occurs that others might benefit as well.

Very very nice.

> CHOLMOD is GPLed, so I suppose my wrapper must be as well, and is thus
> unsuitable for inclusion in Scipy proper -- though scipy.sparse
> already has a wrapper for the GPLed UMFPACK, so I guess I might be
> wrong?

I would put the code in BSD, just to make it clear that people are
welcomed to derive work for the code in BSD license, but I would make it
clear that the package itself is contaminated.

> Anyway, is there any interest in such a thing, and any thoughts
> on the best way to distribute it?

Scikit umfpack seems a good idea. Worst case, stick it on a webpage: this
is useful code.

Thanks for offering :)

Gaël