[SciPy-dev] Cython and large generated .c files

Sturla Molden sturla@molden...
Mon Nov 9 04:19:11 CST 2009

Den 9. nov. 2009 kl. 11.12 skrev Sturla Molden <sturla@molden.no>:

> Den 9. nov. 2009 kl. 06.51 skrev David Cournapeau <david@ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
>> :
>
>> Matthew Brett wrote:
>>> I think that size does matter, as they say, because, if we add a
>>> moderate number of .pyx files to scipy, we can easily end up adding
>>> megabytes of diff _per_commit_.
>>
>> The diff problem can be somewhat alleviated by marking the generated
>> files as binary.
>
> There is a security issue here: the genererated C code is difficult to
> review. Not that I think scipy developers cannot be trusted, but it is
> easy to hide malicious code in there. At least we need to verify
> that .pyx and generated .c match.

And there is the issue of sloppy mistakes: The source of a segfault
could be in the C, but we would look for it in the Cython source. All
it takes is for the developer to forget to generate new C before
commiting.

Sturla