[SciPy-dev] Cython and large generated .c files

Tue Nov 10 19:08:52 CST 2009

Hi Lisandro,

Lisandro Dalcin wrote:

> David, Iwas just talking about building -dev SVN checkouts. Release
> tarballs should ship the generated C sources.

It does not change my argument: dependencies should be explicit, and
build should never trigger network access.

Network is inherently fragile, and makes sandboxing builds more
difficult. Making a difference between release and dev makes the release
process is not great either: the more different they are, the more
likely you are to produce a broken release out there in my experience. I
think it is a good policy that dev builds are as similar as possible to
building releases from sources.

> What this means?

It means that if a package depends on cython at a certain version, it
should check for this, and fails if it does not, like it does if you
don't have a fortran compiler or blas/lapack for scipy. It was argued
that installing the right version of cython is not difficult, after all :)

cheers,

David