[SciPy-dev] doc.<item> == module?

josef.pktd@gmai... josef.pktd@gmai...
Thu Nov 12 21:27:16 CST 2009

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 9:38 PM, David Goldsmith
<d.l.goldsmith@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 6:26 PM, <josef.pktd@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 8:55 PM, David Goldsmith
>> <d.l.goldsmith@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi!  Are the various doc.<name> (e.g., doc.basics, doc.creation, etc.)
>> > modules?  Does it vary (i.e., some are, some aren't)?  (I'm compiling a
>> > list
>> > of the "Being written" and "Needs editing" module docstrings.)  Thanks!
>>
>> I've never seen these files before. It looks like, each module (that I
>> checked) is just a docstring that is included into the numpy
>> documentation. Bu, After a quick look it doesn't seem that they can be
>> edited where they are displayed in the rst source, e.g.
>>

>> http://docs.scipy.org/numpy/docs/numpy-docs/user/basics.broadcasting.rst/#basics-broadcasting
>>
>> However, they can be edited as a module, e.g.
>>
>> http://docs.scipy.org/numpy/docs/numpy.doc.broadcasting/
>>
>> So it looks like that these are part of the User Guide in the docs.
>
> And so not modules, which the wiki is treating as if they were modules?

They are python modules (although not doing any calculations) and
imported in numpy.doc.__init__ . As far as I can see, the doceditor
needs to treat them as modules to make them editable.
Editable as modules and included through automodule in the rst file.

So they are part of the docs and should be edited as such, but they
don't contain any functions that need to be documented.

(This is just after looking at them for a brief time and might miss something.)

Josef